OLS as loadbalancer?

Discussion in 'General OpenLiteSpeed Discussion' started by silentneedle, Mar 16, 2017.

1. silentneedle

silentneedle New Member

I usually use haproxy as loadbalancer, but I really like how the things work with litespeed, so I'm currently think about to switch to ols, if that's possible.

I know it's possible to setup ols as reverse proxy, but is it also possible to add multiple backend server?

2. lsfoo

lsfoo Administrator

It's possible to make OLS a simple Load Balancer. You just have to set up a the backend external apps (fcgi(Fast CGI App), lsapi(LSAPI App), servlet(Servlet/JSP Engine), proxy(Web Server)) and then set up a load balancer external app that utilizes those backend ones.

Then you just need to point a vhost to use the load balancer external app.

This will only do round robin, and there is no session tracking, so the load balancing will be somewhat limited, but it is possible.

We do have a load balancer product, but I'm guessing that you're looking for open source/free versions, so hopefully this will suffice.

silentneedle likes this.
  3. silentneedle

silentneedle New Member

Thanks for the fast reply.

Could you elaborate this a little bit more? So let's say I have setup a external app (Webserver) with the name "test" which is just another OLS installation. To use this app I just need to enter proxy::test in the workers part of the loadbalancer?

4. lsfoo

lsfoo Administrator

I need to confirm it, but I believe that is correct.