GCP Deployment VM Instance Serial Console Login details

Hi,

I have an issue with my VM instance and i need to connect to serial console but it's asking me for a password. Was a default password set up when I deployed it and what is that?. I've even tried adding an automation script:

#!/bin/bash
useradd arithmatics
echo arithmatics:pass911 | chpasswd
usermod -aG google-sudoers arithmatics

And it still says"Login incorrect"

Ubuntu 22.04.3

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Cold-Egg, thank you for responding. So abit of context one of my administrators shut down the instance while on the road and lost connection and corrupted the instance. When we tried to SSH into it we couldn't and it gave us authorisation errors and asked us to check sshd and serial console for logs. This is what led me into trying to connect to serial console and being faced with this issue.

Long story short we managed to fix it by disconnecting the boot disk and connecting it to an instance that worked in order to troubleshoot and fix the corrupted data so we didn't need access to serial console anyway but

Regardless I do seem to notice that when deploying the ols wordpress on GCP even without adding any additional scripts if I try and connect via serial log it still prompts for a password. Then, when i add the script during the intial setup phase it works but if i adding the script into the metadata automation section after deployment it doesnt seem to apply it even when i reset the instance and follow the GCP steps.

So the main question now is there a default account/password for serial log that gets created when the instance is deployed and how do i access this information?

Cold-Egg

Administrator
I don't think there's a default account. My guess is, if the SSH key does not work, it will always ask for the password. You can setup a new account/password to avoid such issue in the future.

Yeah i've done that. So in this case if the SSH does not work and no password was set I would have been S.O.L? (shit out of luck)

Glad i managed to salvage the disk... phew.

Unrelated question, I need to deploy a wordpress instance that uses PHP 8.0 instead of php 8.1. Is it possible to modify the deployment file or is there documentation on how i can downgrade it after deployment?